I spent most of the time during labour in the shower, chatting with my doula. I stayed there until i was well and truly bearing down, at which point I got back out to push” ~ Katia describes her empowering hospital birth experience in the 20th insight of A Modern Woman’s Guide to a Natural Empowering Birth: Trust in Nature’s Perfect Design.
Comments from Katia’s doula, Sheree Stewart (BirthSong) on her birth:
“Supporting Katia was easy and joyful. She was strong willed and determined and was very well informed. She chose to birth in a hospital that had quite high intervention rates, and knowing this, we worked together throughout the pregnancy so that we became really well aqquainted with one another, going over options,, creating a birth plan and having hypnochildbirth sessions. So, by the time her labour began, we already had a good relationship that was based on mutual trust and understanding. We felt comfortable in each others space and her husband and I were able to work well together to ensure we were able to meet Katia’s needs during this crucial time.
For a woman that goes into this particular hospital, she had an incredible birth. The midwives were in awe of her, they barely ever see a normal drug free birth where the woman comes in empowered with her say in how she wants the birth to go.”
Katia shares her story in this video interview:
- She knew what she wanted – was set on natural birth
- a lot of preparation and research to stack the odds in her favour – felt educated and empowered
- also found out where things could go in a number of different directions so she could make decisions
- fears when first pregnant and describes the mental picture the media manufactures of what a birth looks like – she knew she didn’t want that experience – led her to discover hypnobirthing – a book and practitioner resonated with her – a powerful experience and with her husband they could have a shared understanding of what they wanted to create, gave her new mental pictures of positive births and these pictures became a lot stronger than the hollywood pictures that sell movies. it reinforced her own beliefs.
- concerns about her husband not coping or not being able to advocate for her – doula was the answer so she could “relax and get into my birthing body”- she understood the system, her needs, had a midwifery background and was trained in hypnobirthing so ticked all the boxes. the doula support made her feel so comfortable and secure during the birth process that her husband was able to go across the road to have dinner in the middle of labour and Katia had no knowledge of it!!!
- how she was “high on mummy drugs” – so proud, such a big achievement
- lesson in flexibility – one deviation from the plan and what that meant for her